Changing a behaviour can be incredibly difficult. Desire to change is in abundant supply, but the reality of change is that it is hard. Research around behaviour change consistently shows the 80-20 rule to be true: that is, 20% of people show up ready to change and the remaining 80% are not ready to take action (Behaviour Change Institute). Think about a time in your life when you've wanted to just change one thing.. how did that go? Chances are you were part of the 80% that wasn't quite ready to make the change.
Some things to consider in your attempt to "Be Healthier":
- You will go to the gym when you'd rather do ANYTHING else.
- When someone offers you that extra sugary and buttery dessert, you'll say "no".
- You will keep going to the gym even though you don't think anything is changing.
- When you're out with friends and they order the extra big nachos with extra delicious cheese, you will keep telling yourself that 'you don't want any'.
- After a long day of work and you're cuddling up on the couch you'll want nothing more than popcorn and some treats. Instead, you'll just have water.
- When the weather is less than ideal, you'll put on your runners, layer up and go for a run anyways.
- You will be sore a lot of the time and spend way more time stretching than you ever thought possible.
- At times you will think you're hungry... but in reality you're just bored of plain broccoli. (spice things up a bit.)
- When shopping for groceries, you will avoid certain aisles. The power of the snack aisle can be overwhelming.
- You will own more water bottles than you need.