Sunday, November 30, 2014

Are you SURE you want to be Healthier!!

I get it... you want to be healthier. But why? Are you just saying that because it sounds nice? Because it's expected? Actually 'being healthy' may be more difficult than you think. Especially if you're not very healthy to start with.

Changing a behaviour can be incredibly difficult. Desire to change is in abundant supply, but the reality of change is that it is hard. Research around behaviour change consistently shows the 80-20 rule to be true: that is, 20% of people show up ready to change and the remaining 80% are not ready to take action (Behaviour Change Institute). Think about a time in your life when you've wanted to just change one thing.. how did that go? Chances are you were part of the 80% that wasn't quite ready to make the change.

In order to set yourself up for success, I recommend setting a very specific goal. Instead of just saying, "I want to be healthier." try shaping it as "I want to eat vegetables at every meal" or "I will go to the gym everyday". Setting goals such as the ones I've suggested, give you more direction and help in adapting your goals if something's not working.

Some things to consider in your attempt to "Be Healthier":

  1. You will go to the gym when you'd rather do ANYTHING else. 
  2. When someone offers you that extra sugary and buttery dessert, you'll say "no". 
  3. You will keep going to the gym even though you don't think anything is changing. 
  4. When you're out with friends and they order the extra big nachos with extra delicious cheese, you will keep telling yourself that 'you don't want any'. 
  5. After a long day of work and you're cuddling up on the couch you'll want nothing more than popcorn and some treats. Instead, you'll just have water. 
  6. When the weather is less than ideal, you'll put on your runners, layer up and go for a run anyways. 
  7. You will be sore a lot of the time and spend way more time stretching than you ever thought possible. 
  8. At times you will think you're hungry... but in reality you're just bored of plain broccoli. (spice things up a bit.)
  9. When shopping for groceries, you will avoid certain aisles. The power of the snack aisle can be overwhelming. 
  10. You will own more water bottles than you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment